Ryan’s Hard Cider

My buddy heard that I like to brew beer, and decided he wanted to try it out sometime.

One problem—he didn’t like beer. But, he was particularly fond of cider. I wasn’t too familiar with the beverage, so of course I was on board.

We tried a pilot batch and it turned out quite well, considering we simply put Ryan’s apple juice in a one-gallon jug and added Wyeast Kolsch yeast. In the end, we were left with a tasty cider with a slightly yeast-y nose. So, with the pilot batch finished (we only got 8 12-oz bottles), we’re ready to mass produce.

Here is what we’re doing:

3 gallons Ryan’s All-Natural unfiltered apple cider, flash pasteurized with no preservatives.
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Fermentation: 68°F
Original Gravity: 1.054

For this, we literally put it in the carboy, pitch the yeast and let it go. Last time, there was a considerable sulfur smell. We’re going to let this one sit for a bit longer—today is March 1. I’ll update as we go along.

UPDATE: 4/2

So…oops. I forgot about this guy in my storage closet. It’s been sitting a while (about a month) in the primary at around 60°F. I finally racked it into a secondary at a 1.003 gravity reading. It was much drier than the first batch I made. I’ll let it sit for a while still and get some of that yeasty smell/taste out of there.

We didn’t add any pectic enzyme, but the cider still came out pretty clear. I picked some up to do our next pilot batch, where we’re planning on adding some wild, huckleberry-infused honey.

Here’s what we did for that:

1 gallon Ryan’s All-Natural unfiltered apple cider, flash pasteurized with no preservatives
1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme dissolved into 2 tablespoons of water
1/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient
2 ounces wild huckleberry honey

Instructions:
Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme into 2 tablespoons of water
Pour honey into small amount of cider and whisk together until the honey is dissolved
Let sit for 24 hours
Dissolve yeast nutrient into cider and mix well
Pitch yeast into 68° unfermented cider
*Side note: I didn’t have enough airlocks with the amount that I’m fermenting right now, so I’m leaving the bung with tin foil over it for the night. Hopefully it goes well.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s